This loaded veggie quesadilla recipe is one the tastiest around—and it’s packed with veggies like black beans and sweet potatoes! It’s a perfect for easy dinner recipe for family.
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 medium)
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 4 8-inch flour or corn tortillas, like our Homemade Spinach Tortillas
- 4 slices Colby cheese or 3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend or Colby cheese
- Kosher salt
- Salsa, to serve
- Cook the sweet potato: Cook it in an Instant Pot (note that this method requires 4 sweet potatoes to be cooked at once for the timing to be accurate). Or, you can bake it using these baking instructions, or prick holes in it and microwave it on high for 8-10 minutes until tender, turning halfway through. (Do this step in advance and refrigerate the sweet potatoes before cooking the quesadilla; the cook time below does not include this step.)
- Cook the spinach: Roughly chop the spinach. Warm the olive oil in a skillet and add the spinach, garlic powder, cumin, and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook until spinach is wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes, then remove it to a bowl.
- Assemble the tortilla: Cut the sweet potato in half and slide off the skin: place the flesh into a bowl and mash it with a fork. Spread 1/4 cup of the mashed sweet potato onto one tortilla. Drain and rinse the beans, then top the sweet potato with 1/4 cup of the black beans. Sprinkle sweet potatoes and black beans with a pinch of kosher salt. Then top with sprinkles of the cooked spinach (use your hands and leave any liquid at the bottom of the bowl). Top with 2 slices of cheese, tearing it as necessary to fit onto the tortilla. Cover with the second tortilla. Then repeat these instructions for the second quesadilla.
- Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil and heat it to medium heat. Place one quesadilla in the pan, cheese side down. Cook for 2 minutes per side until lightly browned and the cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and serve, with salsa if desired. (Note: For lunch boxes, you can keep the quesadilla wedges refrigerated for a few days and place them into lunch boxes each morning.)
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Dinner Recipes for Family, Quesadilla Recipe, Veggie Quesadilla Recipe