This delicious spin on a poke bowl features seared salmon and veggies in a colorful bowl, an easy dinner recipe perfect for beginners!
- 1 1/2 cups dry white rice
- 4 medium fillets salmon
- 5 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, divided
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 medium red cabbage (2 cups shredded)
- 1 large English cucumber (3 cups shredded)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 avocado
- 3 green onions
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Kosher salt
- If frozen, thaw the salmon according to the package instructions
- Make the rice using How to Cook Rice or Instant Pot Rice.
- With the salmon lying flat on a cutting board, run a sharp knife between the skin and the flesh to remove the skin. Cut the salmon into 1 inch squares and add it to a medium bowl. Note that thinner parts of the salmon may shred a bit (this is okay). Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, and the sriracha to the salmon and stir gently. Allow to marinate while preparing the vegetables.
- Thinly slice the cabbage (2 cups). Place it in a medium bowl and mix it together with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar.
- Julienne the cucumber into long thin strips (3 cups; we used a handheld julienne peeler). Place in a medium bowl and mix with 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil.
- Peel the carrots into long ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Place in a medium bowl and mix with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Dice the avocado (if using). Slice the green onions on the bias.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. When hot, add the salmon and cook for about 30-45 seconds until just cooked. Immediately remove to a clean bowl and add the green onions, a sprinkle of sesame seeds, and 1 or 2 pinches of kosher salt.
- To serve, scoop rice or quinoa into bowls, then top with the vegetables and salmon. If desired, garnish with additional sesame seeds.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Dinner Recipes for Beginners, Poke Bowl, Weeknight Poke Bowl