Here’s the absolute best simple margarita recipe! Serve this drink on the rocks with the classic ingredients: lime, Cointreau and tequila.
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) tequila blanco or reposado*
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau (or Triple Sec)
- 3/4 ounce (1 1/2 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt, for the rim
- For the garnish: Lime wedge
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt (or for a festive look, use our Margarita Salt).
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
- Pitcher (8 servings): Place 1 1/2 cups tequila, 1 cup Cointreau or Triple Sec, and 3/4 cup lime juice in a pitcher. Add 3 handfuls ice and stir until cold.
*We like the nuanced aged flavor of reposado, but either works.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Margarita, Best margarita recipe, Simple margarita recipe, Classic margarita recipe, What's in a margarita, Margarita on the rocks