There’s nothing cozier than baked oatmeal! This baked steel cut oatmeal is carrot cake flavored, with cozy spices and pecans.
- 3 large carrots (1 1/2 cups grated)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg (or flax egg for vegan)
- 2 cups 2% milk (or oat or almond milk)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup raw steel cut oats (do not use rolled oats)
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots, enough for 1 1/2 cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, egg, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder and kosher salt. Pour into the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Stir in the steel cut oats.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, then mix in carrots and spread them around evenly. Cover the pan loosely with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil then sprinkle with pecans. Bake another 30 to 35 minutes until set. Serve warm, or refrigerate and eat leftovers for several days. (Note: This baked steel cut oatmeal is best warm or room temperature. Leftovers store well and can be reheated. To make it ahead, you could bake the entire pan and reheat: or prepare the wets and dries separately and refrigerate overnight, keeping the carrots in a separate container, and then mix them and bake the next morning.)
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Baked steel cut oatmeal, Baked Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Brunch Recipes