This bowl has a little bit of something for everyone. For starters, it couldn’t get much healthier. Quinoa is chock full of health benefits. Same with black beans. It’s full of fresh seasonal ingredients (like fresh herbs and peaches), and only requires a bit of stovetop cooking. Just under 15 minutes to cook this quinoa! You couldn’t get too much faster than that. Plus, it’s fun to say (KEEN-wah). I have a feeling kids might find this uber-nutritious grain something of a novelty. (I know I would have. It’s kind of like a natural funfetti.)
But the best part, at least to me, was that while it only took about 30 minutes to prepare, it was totally delicious! There’s a lot going on here – sweet peaches, spicy jalapenos, crunchy green onions, savory beans, fluffy quinoa…the mix of tastes and textures kept us coming back for more!
This is a wonderful option for a quick summer weeknight meal. But don’t stop there! It would be perfect for guests – pair it with a salad (and perhaps this dessert?). I’m already thinking of trying a version with sweet potatoes or butternut squash for the winter.
You can get pretty creative on this one – let us know if you give your own “bowl of goodness” a try!Print
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 recipe peach salsa
- 2 cans black beans
- 4 green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Place 2 cups quinoa in a saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low. Cover the pot, and simmer where the water is just bubbling for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the water has been completely absorbed. (Check by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if water remains.) Turn off the heat and let sit covered to steam for about 5 minutes. Cover and leave warm in the pan until serving.
- While the quinoa cooks,make the peach salsa.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Chop 4 green onions. In a bowl, stir together beans and onions with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon cumin,1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Taste, then add more seasonings if desired.
- To server, dish the quinoa into bowls, then top with the black bean mixture and peach salsa.