This will become your new favorite lasagna: guaranteed. It’s full of hearty flavor and is 100% whole food plant based. It’s a winner with everyone!
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup roasted salted cashews, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice + 1 teaspoon lemon zest, divided (1/2 lemon)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 25-ounce jars tomato basil pasta sauce (or any marinara sauce)
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 10 to 13 ounces no boil lasagna noodles* (see note!)
- 8-ounce container hummus
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make the spinach mushroom filling: Pull out the stems of mushrooms with your fingers. In a food processor or with a large knife, roughly chop the mushrooms, 1/2 cup of the cashews and the rosemary. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a skillet and bring to medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and cashews for 3 minutes until soft but still hold their shape. Add the spinach (saving out a few leaves for the garnish) and sauté until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt, a few grinds of pepper, and the lemon juice. Let stand until assembling.
- Make the dairy free Parmesan topping: in a food processor or blender, blend 1/2 cup cashews with the garlic powder and lemon zest until it’s ground into about the texture of a shaker can of grated Parmesan. (Alternatively, chop as finely as possible with a knife.)
- Mix the sauce: In a large bowl, mix together the pasta sauce and tomato sauce.
- Layer the lasagna: In a 9 x 13” baking dish, spread tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then top with 1 layer of noodles (our pan held 3 noodles longwise and 3/4 noodle widthwise), breaking noodles as necessary**. Spread with half of the hummus, half of the mushrooms and a tomato sauce layer. Repeat again: 1 layer of noodles, half of the hummus, half of the greens and tomato sauce. Finally, top with noodles, then tomato sauce again. Sprinkle the entire top with the “Parmesan” and dried oregano.
- Bake: Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes, then 10 minutes uncovered. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving (this allows the lasagna to set). If you’d like, finely chop spinach leaves to use as a garnish (for looks only!). Cut into pieces and enjoy.
*Important: You must use no-boil lasagna noodles for this recipe! Do not substitute standard noodles. The amount of sauce is formulated for no boil noodles, which need more liquid than standard lasagna noodles.
**If you have a large 9 x 13” aluminum pan with square sides, you’ll need 13 ounces noodles. A 9 x 13” glass baking dish with rounded sides only needs 10 ounces of pasta noodles! Baking dish shapes and noodle shapes can vary, so make sure you have enough pasta based on your baking dish.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Best Vegan Dinner Recipes