This falafel salad bowl is the ultimate Mediterranean inspired bowl meal! It features a baked vegan falafel recipe and creamy cilantro dressing.
For the fafafel salad
- 1 ½ cups dried chickpeas
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ large or 1 small red onion
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt (do not substitute table salt)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ head large red cabbage
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 12 to 16 cups lettuce or salad greens
For the creamy cilantro dressing (or substitute Lemon Tahini Sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- Soak chickpeas 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel the garlic; place them in the bowl of a food processor and process until minced. Peel the onion and cut it into rough chunks; add to the bowl and process again until chopped. To the bowl, add soaked chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and olive oil. Process until smooth and a dough comes together, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To form the falafel patties, take a few tablespoons of dough, roll it into a ball and then pat it flat. Keep the patties as uniform as possible so they have a similar thickness. Bake the patties for 24 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the creamy cilantro dressing: Peel the garlic cloves. Place all ingredients for the dressing into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage and cucumber. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Clean the salad greens.
- To serve, place greens in a large bowl. Top with falafel patties, cabbage, cucumber, and tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Tip: For a vegan or plant-based option, use Lemon Tahini Dressing.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Falafel Salad, Vegan Falafel Recipe, Vegan Dinner Recipe, Vegetarian Dinner Ideas, Healthy Dinner Ideas, Bowl Meal