Looking for easy exercises at home? This Home Workout Plan helps you get fit with cardio, chest, arm, leg and abs workouts at home.
In a busy world, how do you balance healthy eating and working out? Many of you have asked us that question. Alex and I have a busy life with work and family, but we’ve found a system that works for us. Here’s our secret: doing easy exercises at home! Because we have so much going on, we haven’t found a good way to fit going to a gym into our schedule. But 25 minutes of easy exercises without leaving the house? Sign us up!
Here is our Home Workout Plan that includes abs, chest, cardio, arm, and leg workouts at home. And. we’ve got a Home Workout Program Spreadsheet download to keep you on track (it’s been the only way we’ve stayed motivated!).
Before you start
Important: if you’re trying to lose weight, remember that eating healthy food is the most important for your body weight! In our podcast The best way to lose weight, we learned from a doctor and workout specialist that 80 to 90% of your body weight is due to the food you eat.
Does that mean you shouldn’t work out? Absolutely not! Physical fitness is an important part of keeping your body healthy for the long term. Cardio workouts and strength training are important for building muscles and overall fitness. Our Home Workout Program is a great starting point for building fitness into your everyday routine.
But if you’re looking to lose weight, make sure to focus on food as your number 1 priority. Check out our Healthy Meal Plans as a good starting point, including 28 Day Healthy Meal Plan, 28 Day Vegetarian Meal Plan, or 28 Day Vegan Meal Plan.
Overview of this Home Workout Plan
For our Home Workout Plan, we try to incorporate the recommended 150 minutes of exercise a week (here’s the Mayo Clinic’s recommendation). Here’s what that looks like on a daily basis:
- Cardio workout 3x per week
- Strength training 4x per week
- Walks as much as possible!
Below we have a links to all of the best Youtube workouts that we use! There’s also a download of our Home Workout Program Spreadsheet so that you can plug in all of your workouts!
Download: our Home Workout Plan Spreadsheet!
Here is the magic that we’ve found helps us stay motivated: our Home Workout Plan Spreadsheet! The spreadsheet is how we keep track of what workouts we’ve done. You simply use the spreadsheet to copy in links to the exercises you’re planning for the day or week. Filling in the “Yes” bubble on the “Did you exercise?” question actually keeps us accountable. (Funny enough, it works!) It’s also helpful to have a workout buddy: Alex and I do all these exercises together!
**Here’s the download: our 28 Day Home Workout Plan Spreadsheet!
Here are some tips about how to use this Home Workout Program Spreadsheet:
- Open the Spreadsheet and review the example of how to fill it out.
- All of the links to workouts are on YouTube, and are listed below! They are all 10 minutes or less and about medium level difficulty.
- Pick the exercises you’d like to do for the day or week, and copy them into the spreadsheet.
- Some of the exercises use weights: I do 5 to 8s and Alex uses 10s. But there are plenty of exercises without weights! See the equipment section below.
- If we like a workout, we shade it green in the spreadsheet so we remember. If not, we shade it yellow (we keep the yellow ones in just so we know which we didn’t love!).
- You can always find new YouTube workouts and copy those in too! Below are ones we’ve tried and liked in each category: abs, chest, arms, legs, total body, cardio, and stretches.
Favorite YouTube workout channels
Here are some of our favorite workout channels to follow on YouTube. They have great content that really builds muscle (at least, it has for us!) and they’re updated regularly.
Favorite workouts at home
Here are a few of our favorite workouts to do at home. In the sections below, you’ll see workouts geared towards specific body parts.
Abs workout at home
Here are our favorite exercises for an abs workout at home. These are some of our favorite workouts, and we were able to start seeing results in just a few weeks! We try to do abs workouts around 5x per week.
- Senorita Ab Workout | MadFit
- 10 Minute Home Ab Workout | Rebecca Louise
- Advanced Pilates Abs Workout | Rebecca Louise
- 8 Minute Abs Core Toning Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
- 5 Minute Abs Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
- 7 Minute Pilates Bootcamp for a Strong Core | K’s Perfect Fitness
- 8 Minute Abs Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
Chest workout at home
Here are our favorite exercises for a back and chest workout at home. We’ve found these really help improve your posture after spending hours at the computer.
- 6 Exercises to Help Improve your Posture | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Bingo Wings, Back & Chest | Rebecca Louise
- 8 Minute Upper Body Workout: Chest, Back & Arms | K’s Perfect Fitness
- 3 Minute Plank Challenge | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Plank Challenge | Rebecca Louise
- Ultimate Back Workout| Blogilates
Arm workouts at home
Here are our favorite exercises for a arm workouts at home.
- How To Lose Arm Fat | Rebecca Louise
- Back, Chest, & Shoulders Workout – Ultimate Upper Body | Rebecca Louise
- How To Tone Up Your Arms in 5 Minutes | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Intense Arm Workout | Rebecca Louise
- Arm Workout, No Weights | Rebecca Louise
- Complete Arms Workout (At Home No Equipment) | Blogilates
Leg workouts at home
Here are our favorite exercises for glute and leg workouts at home.
- Lift and Tone Your Butt | Rebecca Louise
- 200 Squat Challenge | Kelsey Lee
- Slim Legs & Lifted Glutes Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Slim & Sculpted Legs in 6 Minutes | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Inner Thigh & Glute Workout | Rebecca Louise
- Legs Focus: 6-Week Body Toning Bootcamp | Blogilates
Total body workouts at home
Here are our favorite exercises for a total body workout at home. We try to mix these in with the other targeted exercises for some variety!
- 7 Minute Total Body Dumbbell Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
- 6 Minute Total Body Toning Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Yogalates | K’s Perfect Fitness
- 7 Minute Total Body Dumbbell Workout | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Total Body Pilates Workout | Blogilates
- 10 Minute Full Body Workout | Rebecca Louise
Cardio workout at home
Here are our favorite exercises for a cardio workout at home. Typically we use our exercise bike! But here are a few that don’t use equipment too.
- Exercise bike
- Jogging or elliptical (if you happen to have one)
- 30-Minute No-Equipment Cardio and Strength-Conditioning Workout | Popsugar Fitness
- The Scientific 7 Minute Workout: HIIT | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Silent Death Cardio – Apartment friendly workout | Blogilates
- 5 Minute Fat Attack | Blogilates
Stretches at home
Here are our favorite stretches to do at home, either in the morning or after workouts! We love doing the 5 minute energizing morning stretch: it helps our posture and gives us more energy to start the day. You could also do some of these yoga workouts to stretch after your strength training.
- 5 Minute Energizing Morning Stretch | K’s Perfect Fitness ** this is the one we love for mornings
- Total Body Stretch | Blogilates
- 7 Minute Evening Stretch for a Peaceful Sleep | K’s Perfect Fitness
- Cool Down | Rebecca Louise
- 7-Minute Yoga Boost – Yoga With Adriene
- 6-Minute Post-Workout Yoga – Yoga With Adriene
Equipment for this Home Workout Plan (optional)
You actually don’t need any equipment for this Home Workout Plan! Plenty of the exercises above simply use your body weight. However, a few of the workouts below call for weights and they’re fairly inexpensive to buy! Also, we had room for an exercise bike in our home and it’s been a great investment, especially when we don’t feel like heading outside in the winter. Here’s the equipment we use for this home workout program:
- Weights: Here are the dumbbells we use. I use only the 5’s or 8’s for the workouts above; Alex usually uses the 10’s. So you definitely don’t need all of these: select a few that you think you’d need:
- Exercise Mat: Here’s the exercise mats we use.
- Exercise Bike: Here’s the exercise bike we use. You definitely don’t need to buy an exercise bike, but if you’re looking for one and have space in your house, we really like this one. It’s manually controlled, basic, and easy to maintain. We keep it on our third floor, which is a multi-use living room, play room and exercise space.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.