A few recipes in our archive are old favorites, some we make often and some have faded into memory. I came across this one the other day and knew we had to remake it. The original recipe is from what we call the “teenage years” of our blog, that gangly and awkward time where we were trying to figure out to make food that tasted good and take photographs of it. We had lots of failures in those days (still do now, of course!), so the good ones really stood out. This one was a winner, roasted red potatoes + sweet potatoes + hard-boiled eggs over greens with a standout honey mustard vinaigrette. It’s a fantastic main dish salad recipe that works for many occasions.
A friend of mine told me she loved the dressing because it’s easy to remember: 2, 2, 2, and 2. That is, 2 tablespoons each of white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, and stone ground mustard. It always stuck with me that she liked that, and to this day if I have a chance to make a memorable ratio in a recipe, I do it.
Four years later, the recipe was just as good as we remembered. The dressing is a burst of flavor, a good match for the hearty sweet potatoes. And who doesn’t love sweet potatoes? We hope you enjoy it as a main dish salad option for lunch or dinner – let us know if you happen to try it out!
PS No podcast tonight, but check out last week’s podcast on minimalism in the kitchen with Melissa Coleman of The Fauxmartha. It was a blast to record. If you did listen, did you make any minimalist goals? We pledged to clean our spice drawer but still haven’t yet :/
PPS How’s everyone doing after the holidays – did you survive? Back in the swing of things?
- 4 eggs
- 1½ pounds red potatoes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ small red onion
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 8 cups salad greens
- Hard-boil the eggs, according to the Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs method.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized chunks (do not peel). In a bowl, toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and lots of fresh ground pepper. Place the potatoes in the oven and roast until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Thinly slice the red onion and rinse the slices under cold water a few times to remove the bite. Slice the eggs into quarters
- Make the honey mustard vinaigrette by vigorously whisking together 2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil, and 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard.
- To serve, place the greens in a bowl. Top with warm potatoes, red onions, hard-boiled eggs, and dressing.