While we’ve been away half-way across the world, spring has sprung in Indianapolis! As we sort through photos and emotions on our return, we’ve also been getting back into the swing of spring produce in Midwest America. It’s a bit different from fresh local mangos and pineapple, but we’re still excited about what we’re starting to see in the markets, as well as the new life in our garden!
We tested out this salad for a lovely evening meal al fresco with friends. The fresh lavender blossoms and twinkle lights were the perfect compliment – thanks to Kelley H and friends for a wonderful evening!
This salad would be a great option for a spring meal with family or friends, perhaps an Easter brunch. The flavors are bright and fresh, especially enhanced by the lemon and fresh oregano! (We’re excited to already have fresh oregano in our garden – the joy of perennials!)
Another option is to make it a light lunch or dinner by adding cooked white beans or chickpeas, and serving with bread (which I’m enjoying as I write).
What’s your favorite spring ingredient?
And…dishes courtesy of the market in Phnom Penh, Cambodia!
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 bunch radishes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 handful fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Wash and dry the lettuce; chop it into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the radishes. Zest the lemon.
- If the peas are frozen, thaw them in some warm water. If the peas are fresh, boil some water, add the peas and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until tender and bright green, then remove them and rinse with cold water.
- Chop the fresh oregano. In a canning jar, add the oregano, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper. Shake vigorously to combine. (Alternatively, whisk these ingredients together in a bowl.)
- To serve, place the lettuce leaves in serving bowls or plates. Top with sliced radishes, peas, crumbled feta cheese, and lemon zest. Drizzle with vinaigrette and top with fresh ground pepper.