I’m a sucker for one-bowl meals. If I’m going to take the time to cook, why bother making multiple items?
Luckily, this dish is perfectly versatile. It could work as a side to accompany a meal off the grill, or to bring to a summer cookout. It would be delicious served with a variety of summer salads, perhaps to bring on a picnic.
But for me, with a bit of crumbled feta and a side of toast, it’s a light weeknight dinner.
And while it might look unassuming, the flavor combination is perfectly fresh and delicious. It’s simple, but with a bit of complexity from the mint and zesty lemon. And the salty feta was a great compliment to the Mediterranean flavors.
So whether you are a one-bowl proponent or not, this is a wonderful summer salad to add to the repertoire!
What’s your favorite one-bowl meal?
A few of our recent favorites are:
Cajun Bulgur Salad
Black Bean and Quinoa Bowl with Peach Salsa
Buckwheat Pasta with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Tahini
Many thanks to Gram, my dear late grandmother, for the lovely bowl!
- 1 cup pearl couscous (whole wheat, if possible)
- 1⅓ cup French lentils
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 6 green onions
- ⅓ cup fresh mint (thinly sliced)
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Feta cheese
- In a saucepan, bring 1¼ cup water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl couscous; cover and simmer for about 8 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water, and set aside.
- Add 1⅓ cups lentils and 4 cups water to a saucepan; bring to a boil and simmer with the top tilted for about 20 minutes until the desired tenderness is reached. Drain, rinse under cool water, and set aside.
- Chop the tomatoes into bite-sized chunks. Chop 6 green onions. Thinly slice (chiffonade) the mint. Zest the lemon.
- Combine couscous, lentils, tomatoes, green onions, mint, and lemon zest with 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Stir to combine. If desired, serve garnished with crumbled feta cheese.