It’s already July, and we can’t believe it’s almost time for the July 4th holiday! The temperatures are at their height here in Indiana – the grass is dry and brown, and our garden is hanging on for dear life.
What better to do in the heat than sip on a cool drink? Alex was inspired by the upcoming Independence day to create a red and blue themed drink — complete with champagne for a little sparkle! It’s a play on a sangria (that delicious Spanish wine and fruit juice drink), but using blueberries and black cherries instead.
Pour in a little champagne, and you’ve got a delicious and refreshing way to beat the heat!
Blueberries are currently available at many of the local farmer’s markets here in Indiana.
- 8 ounces black cherries
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- ½ cup 100% cherry juice
- ¼ cup honey (or a bit more, to taste)
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 bottle cheap Prosecco Cava champagne, or other sparkling wine
- Cut cherries in half and discard the seeds.
- In a pitcher, combine 1 bottle of white wine, ½ cup cherry juice, ¼ cup honey, and the juice of 1 lemon. Stir to combine. Add the cherries and 1 cup blueberries. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours to let the flavors meld.
- When serving, fill each glass with one half of the wine mixture, some of the fruit, and top of with sparkling wine.