Thank you all so much for your interest in our Green Mango Cafe cookbook! In honor of the cookbook’s launch, we wanted to give you a quick taste of what’s inside. Here’s a relatively quick and tasty recipe that we developed based on a favorite recipe of one of the young women we met working at the Green Mango Cafe when we visited. The addition of lemongrass, a traditional Southeast Asian ingredient, gives a slightly citrus flavor to the dish. (Check out the cookbook for some step-by-step instructions on how to cut it — a frequently asked question by our recipe testers!)
Curious about other recipes inside too? We’ve updated the cookbook information to include this preview photo of some of the recipes inside. Take a look here.
Thank you again for your interest in supporting this cause!
And tomorrow…back to our regularly scheduled programming :)
- 1 bird’s eye chili (Add more chili pepper to taste, depending on your spice tolerance.)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 carrots
- 5 cups Napa cabbage (about ½ head)
- 2 cups snap peas
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 stalks lemongrass (available at Asian groceries)
- 9 ounces brown rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ⅓ cup Thai basil leaves, chopped (available at Asian groceries)
- ⅓ cup roasted peanuts, whole or crushed
- Finely slice the bird’s eye chili. Cut the red bell pepper into strips. Cut 3 carrots into thin strips. Finely chop or shred the Napa cabbage; reserve 5 cups. Measure out 2 cups snap peas. Mince 4 cloves garlic. Chop the Thai basil; reserve ⅓ cup. For the lemongrass, cut off the top green portion and bottom root of each stalk and discard. Peel away the tough outer layers of the remaining sections and mince.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- In a wok or skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat. Then do the following: Add the chili, red bell pepper and carrots, and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and snap peas and sauté, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, lemongrass, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, and Thai basil leaves; cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked noodles and stir to combine with the vegetables, about 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat. Serve immediately, garnished with peanuts. Add additional soy sauce to taste.