Eating Less Meat?

Veggies

Though we’re out of the country, we thought we’d still provide you with a little bit of food for thought!

Listening to this commentary by Mark Bittman on my favorite show (Marketplace – I love you Kai Ryssdal!) the other day, we heard this interesting stat: In 2012, America’s meat and poultry consumption will be about 12% less than it was in 2007.

This warmed our hearts!  Why? Not because we’re anti-meat – we’re actually very pro eating good, clean, well-raised meat.

However, with the world’s demand for meat currently on the rise, a large amount of this meat is being produced unsustainably – that is, in a way that’s not healthy for the animals, the earth, or for your body.

When we found this out, we decided to change our main cooking style at home to meatless, with a little well-raised, local meat on occasion (see why we do what we do here). And, looks like many of you have too!

Looking to lessen the meat consumption in your diet? Check out this helpful article on how to eat less meat, also written by Bittman.

And here’s a few blogs for mainly meatless inspiration:
Naturally Ella
Love and Lemons
Sprouted Kitchen
My New Roots
Green Kitchen Stories

Have you started eating less meat? What are your favorite sources of inspiration?

Print Friendly

19 thoughts on “Eating Less Meat?

1. Sylvie (A Pot of Tea)

I started eating much less meat about five years ago. I’ve gone from eating meat most days, to maybe eating meat about 2-4times a month. I refuse to eat cheap meat so rather eat less, but when I do I know it’s been treated well while it was alive. I don’t miss the meat in my diet and as an unplanned side effect I don’t just feel better, I also lost a bit of weight. At the moment a lot of my inspiration comes from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg Every Day book. He’s a reformed meat addict himself and I also get some more inspiration from http://www.tinnedtomatoes.com and your blog of course.

2. Ashley

I stopped eating meat 2 years ago. It started with losing my taste for chicken and went on from there. For about 2 years before that though, we fell under the same philosophy as you guys. I am in full support! I haven’t written off meat for the rest of my life, but right now I’m good without it. Thanks for inspiring!

3. Heidi @ Food Doodles

I love this! We’ve been eating less meat for a couple years now. I actually don’t miss meat at all so I eat it even less often than the rest of my family, but even my meat loving husband agrees that eating local meat less often is well worth it. Buying local meat is much more expensive so we really don’t buy it often but I just can’t stomach meat from the grocery store when I don’t know where it’s from or how it’s been treated :(

1. Sonja Post author

We couldn’t agree more! Plus, it makes meat more of an occasion when you do eat it – we find we appreciate it so much more now.

4. meg jones wall

thanks so much for these resources! i just wrote a post on my blog about this a few weeks ago, after talking to a triathlete friend who follows a very strict vegan and gluten-free diet. what he does is very extreme but it definitely got me thinking about the amount of animal products i consume on a regular basis, and i’ve been making a real effort to limit my intake and only eating local meats – the cost alone makes it easy to limit myself, and i know that it’s better both for me and for the planet. great post – and gorgeous photos!

1. Sonja Post author

Oh, thank you! It is exciting to hear about your thoughtful eating — we’ve found it to be very fulfilling to become intentional about those daily choices. Good luck!

5. Courtney Jones

Great post :) Even though I’ve been a vegetarian for 15 years, I don’t believe everyone has to be a vegetarian. I am a huge advocate for less meat consumption and more sustainable, organic, healthy, animal-friendly farming techniques. It’s great to have so many wonderful bloggers out there advocating this. With such great veggie recipes out there, it would be silly not to reduce meat consumption and try more meatless dishes :)

1. Sonja Post author

I agree! Cooking vegetarian has also forced us to become much more creative with our cooking – which you always hear, but doesn’t sink in until you’ve been doing it for a while!

We love your blog, by the way — and thanks for the shout out the other day!

6. emmycooks

I publish daily, mostly-vegetarian recipes on my website, my favorites from whatever I’m cooking that week. I say “mostly” vegetarian because I started eating some fish when I moved to Seattle–how could one not?

7. Jeanine

Thanks for mentioning my blog in your post!

I can’t wait to follow along and hear more about your Cambodia trip… that’s such an exciting thing you’re doing (and by the way I’m so jealous!).

I haven’t eaten meat for about 10 years but I still eat fish (and I’m not planning on stopping). My top vegetarian inspiration sources are: travel, ethnic cookbooks, and sometimes just picking up a vegetable I’ve never tried and getting creative on a whim. And a slew of food magazines and blogs of course…

I also don’t believe everyone has to be vegetarian – everything in moderation. My husband eats meat and I feed my dogs raw (organic) chicken.

1. Sonja Post author

Thanks for writing! We love your blog :)

Thanks for being interested in our Cambodia trip – we’re absolutely loving it and look forward to sharing more with you once we return!

I agree re fish / meat and moderation — and it makes them that much more special when you do eat them!

8. Kristen

Thank you so much for your post. I love that 4 of those 5 blogs are my favorite! The other one I didn’t know about but excited for another one to check out! I’ve been finding that cooking vegetarian is more exciting and so full of color and taste.

9. Francesca

I’ve never been a big meat eater, but now I’m trying to eat even less, or none eventually. I read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and it really opened my eyes to the world of animal slaughter. Frankly, it disgusted me.

I know that I feel better when I eat less meat, so why not give it a go and see if I can give it up completely? However, I’m a fan of bacon and of beef enchiladas which I’m not yet willing to give up entirely. Perhaps one day. Baby steps!

1. Sonja Post author

Sounds great! We’ve found eating less meat but still allowing occasional splurges works well for us. So, we wouldn’t argue with the bacon! :) Thanks for sharing!